Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Salty

Have you ever read something so much that you quit paying attention to what it says?  I had one of those moments earlier this week when I was reading a very familiar passage in Matthew 5.

I know this should not come as a shocker, but Jesus was completely brilliant in choosing salt and light as His analogy of what we're to be in this world.  I started thinking about some of the basic properties of salt:
  • It is used to bring out flavors that already exist in a food.
  • A little bit of it goes a long way.
  • Too much of it can ruin a piece of food.
  • Tasting it will make a person thirsty.
  • If it is placed on a wound, it will sting a little, but it can also have healing properties.
  • It is by its very nature salty.  If it tried to be any other flavor, or lost that property somehow, it's worthless.
  • And I think this had even more meaning in a culture where salt was used as a valuable food preservative and currency.
It made me think twice about how many of these kind of qualities I'm living in my everyday interactions with people I know as well as complete strangers.  Am I being salty (no reference to the singing songbook)? :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Ulmer
face painted blue
:-)

Patty Edwards said...

And... little Psalty, Dan Craig!

Patty Edwards said...

And Little Psalty... Dan Craig.

jamiecbass said...

thanks so much for your comment, it makes me love you even more then i already do. Praying I think is all i can do right now, that and try and keep his glasses on. I read your article, I really enjoy the way you write and bring people into your life and emotions. You are brilliant!

Netta said...

Great thoughts. And... yeah... Psalty... he's a good little book.