Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Maize and Blue

I write this knowing it's going to cause some personal pain to my father and mother.  Sorry parents.  Remember this is a bet.

The Wolverines . . . my dad described them as our Big 10 "Big Brother Team."  (My parents attended and went to Penn State . . . JoPa has been bred into my subconscious.) They continually beat up on the Lions with no mercy, taunting them relentlessly.

So, here's my best take at things that are great about the University of Michigan Wolverines . . .
  • They are the arch rival of Ohio State.  
  • Perhaps they will prove that something good can come out of WVU.
  • They got very Crayola-creative in their terminology for their team colors.  You may think it's gold, but no.  It's "maize."
  • They have an amazing history of some great quarterbacks that have come out of their school.
  • And, so as not to make it all about football, the infamous "time out" call by Chris Webber in the NCAA final has become one of my favorite all-time memories to bring up to my husband when he is taunting me about some sports team.
One more to go.  Gotta work up some emotional strength before that one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if this one was going to get you disowned by your parents! :)

Anonymous said...

Well, the 'blue' color is fine. Blue & white (PSU) is charming, too. I think maybe your new home has more in common than we originally realized... you grew up cheering for the "Lions" (a.k.a. Nittany Lions) and later the "Wolverines" (à la Grove City College). And tho' Jim Leyland has 'moved on'in his career, he did meet his wife in Pgh! Can't say that you ever liked 'wings', tho'.