Thursday, April 26, 2007

Soapbox

It seems like Spring and Summer are finally coming to Pittsburgh. It was a little touch and go there for a while, but it seems like the fifty degree days are getting fewer and fewer and we're getting closer and closer to upper sixties/seventies. This means that we are also getting closer to one of my most favorite aspects of the summer season . . . the fruit.

That is why I must step on my blogging soapboax and take the time to vent on a topic that is very near and dear to my heart . . . watermelon.

For many years now, watermelon has been my most favorite fruit. I think many would agree with me. It's juicy and sweet and colorful . . . yes, probably one of God's greatest creations in the Garden of Eden. The one issue that many would hold against watermelon, however, is the work that's involved eating it, getting around the seeds. A few years ago, I may have agreed. After seeing the agricultural answer to this problem, however, I must respectfully object.

In theory, the seedless watermelon would appear to be the best of all worlds. In theory, however, communism works.

These two pictures alone present a perfect, Exhibit A to my point. Just look at the seeded watermelon. It's so big that it cannot fit in the picture, filled with seeds, yes, but with so much more of the sweet, juicy goodness to enjoy. The seedless watermelon . . . well, is there any contest? Why the little sliver of the watermelon is almost the same size as the entire thing!

And the only thing you do have in that slice is the gooey stringy white seeds that everyone agrees are the worst kinds of seeds. When you add to that the fact that this new "fruit" costs 2-3 x's more than the traditional watermelon, it's the final straw.

Which brings me to my next point. Can we really even call the seedless watermelon a fruit? By definition it eliminates itself as being a seed-bearing plant. This oxymoron is the eunuch of the fruit kingdom.

And the truly sad part, is that you can't even find the good ole' fashioned watermelons anymore. The children of this generation won't even know that watermelons ever had seeds. They'll look at old patterns of kitchen wallpapers and ask, "Mommy, what are those black things in those watermelons?" Poor, deprived children.

Whew. I feel better now. It's good to spend so much time thinking about these life-changing issues, huh? :-)

4 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Is your major "fruit-i-culture"?

And what about seed spitting contests! Oh, woe to those children who will never know that joy!

jennifer joy staab said...

and here, is a place to watch leah pontificate this very point, very eloquently, I must say!!

http://www.virb.com/grapesky/videos/774
sorry leah, i couldn't resist...

Jason Michael Shuttlesworth said...

These 'watermelons' (as some call them). . .these 'post-modern fruits of the vine' are an abomination to true fruits everywhere.

They must be eradicated and sent back to those nefarious bio-tech labs their creators lurk in.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I recently got used to seedless and let me tell you: Thank the geeks for that!

Last week, I accidentally bought a watermelon with seeds... Sure, the sweetness seems stronger and the thing is defenitely bigger - but I can't have these huge one-bite rushes of sweet goodness - why? Because every bloody square inch features a seed!

It's a bit like eating fish that hasn't had its bones taken out - no matter how good it is, the attention you have to waste making sure your mothful of goodness doesnt contain unwanted objects removes the pleasure completly.

Just like when you think you see a 2"x2" chunk of red, tasty sweet watermelon that doesn't seem to have seeds... JOY! Then you bite into the piece - "crunch" @%@#%$@!!

Anyway, I don't disagree with your view, but I think seedless watermelon is just a brilliant alternative anyway.