Tuesday, April 24, 2007

2 Sides of the Coin

For those of you that don't know, I've got this thing for cows. My name means "Wild Cow" in Hebrew, and in middle school I decided that instead of being offended by it, I would embrace the cow and make it "my thing." So, when I came across this cow statue when I visited Salzburg, Austria a few years ago, I just couldn't help myself . . .

If you look at this cow carefully, however, you'll see it has a very special story behind it. Half of it is painted black and the other half is painted brown in honor of an actual cow that was used to save the fortress where it sits on top of the city hundreds of years ago.

The city was surrounded by an army whose strategy was: "surround the fortress until we can starve them out." They did a pretty good job of it, too. The city was down to one last brown cow to eat, but they didn't want to let the attacking army know. So, they proudly marched out the cow on the edge of the fortress one day, showing the army that they were a-ok. The next day, the townspeople took the same cow and painted it black, making it look like a different cow, successfully convincing the attacking army that they had a bountiful supply of food, resulting in a loss of patience on the part of the army. They packed up and went home. The city was saved with a cow.

I was thinking about this brilliant bovine as I have been praying and reading a lot about spiritual warfare over these past few weeks. God has empowered me, as His child, with all the authority that Jesus had, serious power to overcome any attack that could come my way. Power to breakthrough strongholds in my own life or in other people's. And yet, so many times, I think I fall for these pathetic ruses of the enemy, empowered with all this authority and power, and yet packing up and going home because I think I'm overpowered with "all" their resources.

I'm praying that God would reveal to me the Truths of His heart, that I may agree with Him to overcome the enemy and be a part of bringing His Kingdom here on Earth as it already is in Heaven.

1 comment:

Moggy said...

Very good writing, I enjoyed the story.