Monday, April 2, 2007

I Samuel Reflections

Don't you just love it when you're reading the Bible and notice things that you've never noticed before? I was reading in I Sam. 21-24 this morning and had a few questions as I read. Definitely not profound, but thought-provoking at least.
  • If you were Ahimelech, running away from a man who has just killed 85 of your fellow priests and family, would you really be comforted by David who consoles him with, "Stay with me; don't be afraid; the man who is seeking your life is seeking mine also. You will be safe with me" (I Sam. 22:23). Somehow it just doesn't speak peace to my soul to think that I'm supposed to be glad about the fact that I'm with the one person this crazy king wants to kill more than me. Must've worked for Ahimelech, though. He stayed.
  • The people that came to gather around David weren't exactly the cream of the crop. The NIV describes them as "All those who were in distress or in debt or discontented" (I Sam. 22:2). And yet, it says that David became their leader. Not an easy task to accomplish, inspiring and visioning for a group of men who are coming to you as a last resort of sorts. I pray that God would give me His eyes to see those who come to serve in our KiDZ Ministry or church, that I may be able to see hope and potential even with those that see nothing but despair and distress in themselves.
  • I appreciated the dialogue b/w God, David, and David's men in the beginning of ch. 23. God says to do something crazy (fight the Philistines). David's men acknowledge the plan is crazy and want more clarification. God is patient while David clarifies and God simply repeats His instructions. David and his men obey and find victory. It's a very real picture of the risk involved in following God's leadership and His patience in leading us along it.
  • I thought David's actions in I Sam. 23:9-13 to be really interesting. David uses the ephod to inquire of the LORD about Saul's actions and God tells him that Saul will come to capture him and the people of Keilah will turn him over. First of all, if you were David, wouldn't you wonder why God just told you to save that place that would now turn you over? Secondly, David heard God's answer of what the people would do, but he didn't just accept it and stay there. He left and escaped. How about this mind-numbing example of God's Sovereignty and our free will?
  • Don't you just love that David hung out in some place called the "Crags of the Wild Goats" (I Sam. 24:2)? Doesn't it sound like some place out of a Nickelodeon game show like Guts or Legends of the Hidden Temple?

Questions for God in Heaven, I guess. Unless any of you have any insights . . .

No comments: