Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Things that Make You Go, Hmmmmmm . . .

I've always had a tendency to be somewhat inquisitive. In 7th grade, my teacher actually had to limit my questions to 3 per day because she couldn't handle all the questions. I realized quickly that a lot of my questions were only answerable by God, so I began to write them down so that I could ask Him some day when I was in Heaven. I was so determined about this, that I actually created a plan and asked God to follow it in case of the rapture. I asked Him to take my letter of questions, all my stuffed animals, and my blankies with me when He took me to Heaven so that we could sit in my Care Bear bedroom that He was creating for me and discuss the answers to these deeper things of life. I later decided that my arms would probably be too full to carry all my stuffed animals so we were just going to compromise at my blankies and the letter and I added new stuffed animals to my list for my Heavenly mansion bedroom. Hey, I was 6.

I have to say that although I've matured a bit over the past twenty years, my inquisitiveness really has not changed much (and I'm still negotiating with God about my blankies). As I've been reading through Genesis once again, I've generated more questions that I thought I would post here, not so much as to receive answers, but more to have a backup copy to take to Heaven in case my hard copy is lost. :-) Plus, if any of you have any further insights or ponderings, I'd love to hear about them. Here are a few . . .
  • (This one was courtesy of my dad.) God created light on Day 1 and the plants and vegetation on Day 3. Evening and morning was clearly occurring, but the sun and moon and stars were not created until Day 4. Recalling what I've learned in biology in regard to photosynthesis and botany, how did plant life work before the sun was created? How did evening and morning work w/out a sun?
  • God commanded man in Gen. 1:28 to, "Be fruitful and multiply." This was pre-original sin. If man had not sinned and death had not resulted, how would we have sustained the space and resources for multiplication on the Earth? Would we have been like Enoch and Elijah perhaps?
  • I calculated some of the math that is presented in Gen. 5. If I did my math correctly, I saw that Adam was still living all the way up until Noah's father was living. How do you think people viewed him? With love? With anger? Do you think they talked to him and asked him, "What was it like to actually walk with God?" or "What were you thinking?" Do you think Adam ever wanted to tell them a different story so as to put himself in a better light? Would anyone have known the difference? :-)
  • Again, assuming my math is correct, it seems like Methusalah (the famed oldest man) died the same year as the flood. I wonder if he died in the flood? I wonder what Noah's dad and grandfather thought about his whole ark experience?
  • The average age of these first 9 generations (excluding Enoch who had some extraordinary circumstances) was about 722 years old. Did that mean that all life's phases became proportionate as well? For example, instead of a teenager being recognized as 13, are they recognized to be a teen at 130 (figuring that a life span today is around 70 years)? Did bodies develop at a different rate? Assuming that the sons listed for each is their first son, why did so many of them wait so long before having kids? This is considerably different after the flood. (Gen. 11)

I'm going to stop now. My head hurts and yours probably does too. Maybe we can make it a big Q & A party in Heaven together someday. I'll even let you hold one of my new stuffed animals. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great questions. I have asked similar ones when I read Genesis. that's what makes the beginning of the book so much fun.

point of info: Methusalah's name means...'when he dies it will come'. He was a prophetic person. His death signaled the beginning of God's discipline on the earth.