Tuesday, January 9, 2007

12 Angry Men (and 1 Happy Girl)

Yesterday was one of the best days that I've had in a long time. Truly. One that I genuinely and thoroughly enjoyed. I was so sad to see it end.

I had jury duty.

I realize that sometimes I can be prone to hyperbole and sarcasm, but honestly there is none here. This really was such a fun day for me. A few reasons why:
  • A mini-adventure - I realize more and more how important a break from routine is in my life. I think this is why I like traveling so much, too. When we go through our typical routine in life, we are basically in contact with the same 25-75 people each week. When I do that day in and day out, I think I subconsciously define the world as those 50 people, and view my problems, situations, and dreams in relation to how they compare with similar problems and situations of those 50 people. When I break out of my routine, I'm reminded of how big and diverse this world is and consequently, how amazing our God is for creating it all. It puts things in a healthy perspective.
  • New learning - I love learning new things and yesterday was a day full of new experiences. I'm pretty sure that those lawyers thought I was a nutcase when I was sitting in the front row waiting to be questioned with a big smile on my face because I was so excited to be there. I learned so much about our judicial system, which is truly amazing when you think about the fact that our founding fathers decided to create a system where people are judged by a jury of their peers, regardless of education, background, race, prosperity, or age. What an incredible responsibility and opportunity we have as American citizens.
  • People - I met several new friends throughout the day and was reminded of how much attitude can affect a sitution. 80% of the people acted like they were the ones on trial while others were able to accept the situation and make the best of it. Definitely an important lesson to remember in the future. I loved meeting new people.
  • Reading/Writing - I forced myself not to take my computer or work down with me after writing my "stoplight" post a few days ago. I just took my Bible, my journal and a book. How much fun was that?!? I finished the book which was very good and very challenging (It Came From Within, by Andy Stanley) and left feeling so refreshed and energized. The thought occurred to me, "Hey Leah, maybe you don't have to be locked into a room for 9 hours by way of a summons to enjoy time like this? Maybe you can start creating margin for that in your every day life?" Novel idea, isn't it.

I didn't get chosen for any trial, so they say that I can get called again after 1 year from my previous service. Here's hoping! :-)

No comments: