Friday, January 5, 2007

Red Light, Green Light

I read a really interesting post yesterday that challenged my thinking about the Sabbath in a new way.

Mark Batterson's post "E-Mail Resolution" pointed out that taking a Sabbath is in all reality a trust issue, just like a tithe. (You'll have to scroll down a bit to find the post even though it was just posted yesterday. The man is a blogging fiend! What a role model.) For whatever reason, God has extended me a lot of grace that most of the time, it has not been hard for me to give to Him in monetary ways. I trust that He will provide for all my needs and time and again He even blesses me way beyond my needs.

Trusting Him with my time and a sabbath . . . tithing to Him a day of my schedule . . . that's definitely a harder sacrifice for me to lay down. Every ounce of my being wants to keep working to get ahead, and yet, He commands me to rest, to take a Sabbath. I know that I talked about this once before, (see "Super Leah"), but obviously I still have a lot to learn as I still really struggle with it.

So, as I was thinking about this again today, God brought a picture to mind that helped me think of the concept in an even simpler way. I thought of one of the classic playground games of old, Red Light/Green Light. Remember where one person is the "stoplight" and they shout out, "Green light!" when their back is turned and all the other players try and run to them. The "stoplight" turns around at some point, however, and yells, "Red light!" and if anyone keeps moving, they have to go back to the beginning. In order to win and move forward, you have to stop along the way. I guess God knows how to explain the concept to a person who works with children for a living, huh? :-) I want 2007 to be a year when I learn how to play the game better. I hate going back to the beginning.

No comments: