Monday, January 22, 2007

Leewards, Circa 1993

I was going through a desk drawer today that I haven't cleaned out in at least the last 10 years. I found a wealth of old artifacts, letters, and school assignments, most notably my journal from my 9th grade Honors English class. I had to laugh out loud as I read some of my entries, and realized that this was my first blog (before blogs even existed) in terms of having a public journal for others to read. I thought I'd include verbatim one of my clearly profound entries that I made on September 22, 1993. It is entitled "Personal Chicken."
If I were issued my own chicken I would want to train it to be a wonder chicken. I would name it MacGyver because the TV character MacGyver is an extraordinary man and MacGyver the chicken would be one heck of a chicken. It would take some time and a lot of patience, but eventually MacGyver would be the smartest chicken in the world. I would teach him how to add and subtract corn kernels and when he got the trick I would give him a reward, of course. I would train him to be able to do extraordinary stunts and tricks. Through all the training I would love my chicken and give him the best of care. He would get 50% of all the profits we made and would hopefully be very happy. However, if things don't work out and MacGyver turns out to be stupid, I can always count on him to be a good friend.
If you thought that was entertaining, you should see my entry entitled, "National Aardvark Week, March 7-13."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super Chicken Riddle

A farmer has to get a sack of corn, a super chicken, and a fox across a river. The boat can only hold the farmer and one other item. The farmer must bring all 3 items across the river unharmed. The only problem is if he leaves the fox alone with the super chicken, the fox will eat the super chicken, and if he leaves the super chicken alone with the corn sack, then the super chicken will eat the corn sack. How does the farmer get all 3 items across safely?

There are two available hints. Request a hint or submit your super chicken answer.

GO COLTS!

Leah said...

Super chicken would never eat the corn sack. He's the smartest chicken in the world, remember? He's counting the corn kernals on the one side while the farmer is taking care of getting the fox across. Good ole' MacGyver Chicken.

Anonymous said...

Even super chickens get hungry. Nice try.

Answer: The farmer brings the super chicken across. Goes back and brings the fox across, and brings the super chicken back with him to the other side of the river and drops off the super chicken, then he goes and brings the corn sack across, and finally he goes back for the super chicken (MacGyver) and brings it across.

Happy Birthday!