Sunday, January 28, 2007

Casual Friendships

So one Sunday this past October, Leah Edwards enjoyed a dream come true. I was given two tickets to go to my very first Steeler game. They played the Broncos. They lost. It didn't matter. The day was a perfect day with my dad. While we were exploring Heinz Field, we found this "Designated Driver Booth" that gives you coupons for free medium Cokes if you agree not to drink at the game. We jumped on the deal, enjoyed the Cokes, and later that night, I went to this website to sign up for a special contest they were advertising where you could win an all-expense paid trip to the Super Bowl (if your favorite team was going).

I didn't think much of it until last week when I received an e-mail. It said, "Congratulations, Leah! You are the Steeler's representative for the Responsibility Has Its Rewards Sweepstakes. Even though the Steelers aren't going to the Super Bowl, one of the 30 people that are left can win an all-expense paid trip to the Pro Bowl the week after." (For those of you who are not aware, the Pro Bowl is played in Honolulu, Hawaii.) Yes, I heard my mother's voice in my head telling me this was a scam where they wanted my social security number and bank account, so I called the guy to verify. He said it was true. I said,

"SHUT UP!!!!" (I wrote it in caps for a reason. I think the guy's hearing is still recovering.)

I was so excited to have a 3.33% chance (plus Jesus) to win this trip. In order to qualify, however, I had to verify that I could go from February 8-11 (check!), that I wasn't an employee of the Steelers, NFL, Heinz Field, or Aramark Corp (check!) or a family member of someone who was (check!) OR a friend (ummmmm . . .).

Now let's define "friend." I have struck up an acquaintance, ok, let's say casual friendship with a Steeler player and his family who started going to my church over this last year. What to do?!? There was only one thing I could do. I explained my casual friendship and begged that it wouldn't count as a "friend." I was living in Hawaii Hiatus for several days until I heard back on Tuesday. Casual friendships count as friendships. I was disqualified. I'm a little ashamed to say that I cried. Just a little, but tears were shed.

I keep telling myself that casual friendships are way more important than watching the best football players in the nation in one of the most beautiful places in the nation throughout four all-expense-paid days. I couldn't convince myself of it, either. So I upgraded our relationship to a full-fledged good friend. I hope they don't mind. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did the right thing, honey. Next time you hug their kids, you can tell them that you gave up Hawaii for them, sort of. And you know, Responsibility DOES Have It's Rewards! Really. Some day. You'll see.

jennifer joy staab said...

go hawks!