Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Disney World Phenomenon

I love Disney World.  I grew up in a family that loves Disney World.  And one of the most compelling reasons why, is because it literally is a world within a world.  They so effectively create a land of 7-foot characters and princess castles and $10 chicken fingers that when you are there, it doesn't take long to forget that another world exists, one that has some decisions slightly bigger than, "At which park are we going to eat tonight?" or "Where do you want to use our Fast Pass next?"  

The only problem with doing that so effectively, is that in forgetting that there is another world out there, sometimes, in the midst of the trip, I can forget to truly appreciate the joy of Disney World.  I become so busy in thinking about the next ride, the next meal, the next day, that I miss truly enjoying the thrills of the Rockin' Rollercoaster or the simple nostalgia of walking down a Main Street from long ago.  I forget to do so at least until I get home and remember that Disney World was a pretty special treat, and think, "Why didn't I appreciate that more?" as I wake up and prepare for the normal tasks of everyday living.

And so why could I possibly be writing about Disney World before dawn on this glorious Christmas morning?  On the drive back to Pittsburgh last night, I was struck with the realization that all too often, I am living in the fog of this "Disney World Phenomenon," going through the steps of each day without really stopping to realize the beauty in each moment.  

I'm preparing for the next meal, the next program, the next major life-event coming up, and if I'm not careful, the ride goes on and on and I forget that this is the ride.  I forget that this is a greater joy, a most incredible opportunity that we've been given by our Heavenly Father to enjoy the gifts of this world for such a brief moment, and to actually be able to be used to make a significant life-impact for other people by His grace alone.  And while life on this Earth, I'm sure, cannot hold a candle to eternity with Him, it's still a pretty amazing place to be.

I know.  Heavy thoughts to think about at 6 AM on Christmas morning.  Maybe it's the fact that I came back home last night, back to the Christmas decorations that have been here since I was a kid, the duck gravy bowl that signified that a fancy dinner was coming.  My dad even made chocolates just like we used to have at the old candy factory.  I actually started to tear up when I ate one.  Maybe it's the fact that this is my last official Christmas as a "kid," as a new kid will be with me enjoying Christmas next year.  Maybe it's the fact that Boppli is already waking me up before dawn on Christmas morning even though I can't see him/her yet.

Whatever the reason, I'm kind of glad for the little splash of cold water on my face.  Glad for the opportunity to soak in the joys of the next few days.  To soak up the delights of childhood memories and family and friends and to be truly thankful for the new things that God has done and is doing in my life.  To thank God for a husband and new family that is a dream come true and realize that this ride is a Good one, all of it, even the twists and turns that sometimes make me wish I could somehow get off.  

Everyone will be up soon.  Okay, maybe not too soon.  We seem to not be as early-risers as our younger years.  Regardless, may you soak in this Christmas and ALL the gifts that God has placed under your tree, both tangible and intangible.  May you live in the joys of the dreams He has already given to you and with the hope of the ones not yet realized.  And may you enjoy the ride, remembering the past hills and thrills and relishing each and every moment of the ride right now.  Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Annie said...

Leah! did you realize that your articles on Threadsmedia.com are the two most popular under the "Life" section?! That's really cool! Congratulations!

I can't wait to see your first book on my shelf =)