Saturday, May 31, 2008

I Love It. I Love It Not . . .

This week has been quite a roller coaster ride for me and my new city.

As I'm sure you're aware, our home has been filled with some playful rivalry in the present Stanley Cup playoffs.  I wish I could say that I've been perfectly calm and fun about everything, but honestly I was getting pretty annoyed to live here at the beginning of the week.  I wouldn't read the newspaper until Thursday.  All those cocky articles about their "so great" hockey team . . . and what kind of city has a sadistic game called "Whack a Penguin" on their newspaper's website?!?  And an even better question . . . what kind of person would actually play it?!?
Needless to say, things got a little more fun on Thursday.  This was by far my favorite quote in the Detroit Free Press.  "Red Wings fan Dave Thurman, 49, of Novi said security guards frisked him at the entrance and asked: 'Do you have any octopus?' He didn't. 'But they were serious about it,' Thurman said. 'They searched me.' A Mellon Arena usher, who declined to give his name said he had orders to boot any octopus-thrower out of the arena."  Ahhhhh, Pittsburgh.  

Last night however, was one of my first real connections that I felt with the city as I went to my first NBA game, watching the Pistons in Game 6.  Brad and I went along with his parents and I confess that while I had previously found the NBA to be my least favorite professional sport, it's WAAAAAAAY better in person.  Sadly, there was somewhat of a meltdown in the 4th quarter leaving the Pistons with a loss, but the experience was still a positive one for me.  It's a foundation at least that me and the city can work on.  Now, if only they'll get rid of their sequel game "Chuck a Penguin . . ."

2 comments:

Sue said...

Your husband is a sick,sick man!

Annie said...

Hey Leah! It's your sister-in-the-family! I'm sorry about Penguins. There are two Pittsburghians in my office that have been depressed all week as well. But I just wanted to say your blog inspired me and I have now been writing my own! In case you're interested it's anniesfreeboard.blogspot.com but mostly I just wanted to say thanks for the inspiration. Enjoy Detroit! =)