Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Little Friendly Restaurant

So we made it to the booming metropolis of Springfield after a drive from Tulsa, OK (cheaper to fly there and rent a car).  My first trip to either of these states (and I thought Detroit was flat!?!).  

Yesterday, while Brad was in class, Aunt Debbie, Jonathan and his friend Heather and I went exploring the city.  Aunt Debbie took us to a restaurant that she said we just HAD to try called Casper's (no little, friendly ghosts that I could see).  I'm not sure that the pictures can do it justice.  

The whole place literally sits maybe 25 people.  25 skinny people.  And it's set up in a facility that looks like an old army barracks, circa 1964.  When you walk inside, however, it's unlike any barracks that has been seen by a soldier.  It reminded me of what I imagined Rainbow Brite's house to look like.  It's comprised of pictures that have been collected throughout the restaurant's 100 year history and is known for a secret chili recipe that has been around that long as well.  

The food was great, cooked by Etta who has probably been working there throughout most of the restaurant's history.  What really impressed me, however, was the make-up of the restaurant's patrons.  There were Lexus-driving, Armani-suit wearing businessmen sitting right beside the Missouri farmer who brought in pictures of the most recent renovations to his barn.  And they all enjoyed the camaraderie.  

It made me really wonder what was it about Casper's that made it so popular and endearing to it's variety of customers.  While the aesthetics and food certainly add to its charm, I really think it's the people that make the difference.  The wait staff and owner treated all their customers the same, rich or poor, fat or skinny, business deals or farm weddings . . . they were all treated with the same attitude of value and respect.  

I think when it comes to ministry, I tend to really think a lot about getting externals right . . . brochures, environment, decorations.  They're definitely important and something to be considered.  Even more, however, I need to be concerned with how I am going to be a part of a person's experience.  Am I going to make them feel valued, loved, and unique as Jesus certainly would or am I too busy getting everything ready that I miss out on the reasons why.  My trip to the "little friendly restaurant" was one that made this Springfield trip something to remember.  

6 comments:

jamiecbass said...

yeah! that was one of my top restaurants - it really is quite a place - and the entree of choice "the frito pie" mmmmmm i'm so jealous!

Mary Beth said...

I have never eaten there in all my time in Springfield. I will have to check it out.

And the spiritual app was great. Hubby and I were just talking about that very thing the other day.

Enjoy the rest of your time.

Anonymous said...

Casper's and their chilli... I have friends that just can't get enough!! I can't believe we are in Springfield at the same time. Haha.

Can't wait to see my new family! ;)

Rachel Sarah said...

Thanks again for sharing such an endearing experience with a profound lesson. I so appreciate your insights.

Bethany said...

Hey, awesome blog! Except, there are several words that I am going to have to look up in the dictionary after reading that. :) hehe.

becominggreek said...

The frito pie is very good..... I had lunch there one time in college and there was nowhere to sit. So, we jumped in a booth with a few construction workers. We had some great food and met a few new friends...