Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Deal or No Deal


So I'd like to confess one of the guilty pleasures of the Leach family.

Deal or No Deal.

I remember when it first aired and my dad and sister tried to explain the plot for me.  (For those of you that have never experienced the show, here's a summary of the rules on NBC's website.)  Needless to say, when I first heard the explanation I was flabbergasted.  The show requires no skill.  Absolutely nothing can make you better or worse at the game.  It's really all just based on random chance.  What could possibly be intriguing about that?  And yet, it doesn't take too many viewings to get sucked into the black hole of entertainment piloted by the brilliant Howie Mandel.

What I find to be truly fascinating is the way the contestants talk on the show.  They plead with the models to open up a small number (as if the model has ANY control over the outcome).  No matter what the first offer is, they always say, "It's a lot of money . . ." but they never take the deal.  And they always, always KNOW that their suitcase has $1,000,000 in it.  But I've never seen anyone go all the way with their deal.  They always sell their case back to the banker (and in most cases make a good deal).

I guess what really struck me is the discontinuity between what people are saying with their mouths and what they're really believing in their hearts.  They may say they are certain that their case holds $1,000,000 but if they really believed that with 100% certainty, why would they ever settle for anything less?  What they are saying and what they are doing don't add up.

Of course I had to ask myself that same question.  I have been given a suitcase that holds way more worth than $1,000,000.  The case of salvation that God has given to me provides me with innumerable blessings both now and for all of eternity.  I know that.  I say that to other people.  And yet, I can think of some ways that I choose to settle for less, making a deal that just doesn't add up.  I choose to be anxious or stressed or discontent instead of holding on to my case that's a guaranteed fortune.  

I'll probably have to come back and read this blog again sometime in the distant (or more likely not-so-distant) future.  I'm blessed to have family and friends that I brought with me to cheer me on when I might be tempted to compromise.  I need to remind myself that no matter what the other cases that are opened in my life's circumstances my response always needs to be, "No Deal!" as I hold on to the case Christ has bought for me.  I think Howie would be proud.

No comments: