Monday, June 4, 2007

Pableah Picasso

So when I was little, I received this super cool gift that brought much fun to bath time . . . soap crayons. I was pleased to find that these are still on the market today, bringing joy to thousands of children everywhere, I'm sure.

These crayons allowed us to draw on the wall and my mother actually encouraged it! Apparently, however, they are ONLY supposed to be used on bathroom walls. One time when we were at my Grandma's we used them on the walls in her hallway (I swear she said we could!) and although my mother never saw us actually drawing the masterpiece, it didn't take her long to see our fingerprints all over it.

I was recently reading through the book of Esther and found it to be incredibly interesting that it's the only book of the Bible that doesn't clearly use the name, title, or pronoun for God in it. Like my soap crayon masterpiece, however, God's fingerprints are all over the narrative. I love seeing all the "coincidences" like the King reading the annals of his kingdom because he couldn't sleep (Esther 6) and all the times when someone had "just entered" a room (Esther 6:4, 6:14, 7:8). Clearly, those were no coincidences.

I thought of all the times in my life when I may be going through a stressful time or crisis and it feels as if God is nowhere to be found. It is often in those times that I need to rest in my Trust of my Father and believe that there will be a time, just like Esther experienced, when I can look back at my trial and see His fingerprints all over it. I won't paint over those works of art on the walls of my life, but rather frame them as evidence of God's handiwork at all times, whether I can see it or not.

3 comments:

Jason Michael Shuttlesworth said...

Say, you weren't a member of the aristoclass crayola caste were you???

http://puddleglumswigwam.blogspot.com/2007/05/crass-class-crayola-caste-case-society.html

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts!

Mary Beth said...

I love your insights, Leah! Espcially the Paleah!!!

Looking forward to next week.