Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Home Again, Home Again

So, I've finally returned from vacation. I was reminded once again about how much I love to travel. Here are a few reasons why:
  • As I mentioned before, "veeeecation" was a big part of my childhood. So many great memories that I'll carry with me the rest of my life. I think travel was put in my DNA from an early age.
  • I love the adventure of going somewhere that I've never been. New experiences definitely make me come alive.
  • Travel gives me a healthy perspective on things. When you look at the ocean and it extends as far as you can see, and you actually try and count grains of sand in even a small handful, it's so clear that God is truly ginormous (to use the scientific term). :-) To Him, the ocean is like a swimming pool (Job 38:8-11) and the sand has already been counted. Apparently this perspective thing seems to run in my family. :-)
  • I love being reminded that the world is so much bigger than the 50 or so people that I see each week. Again, it reminds me of the incredible nature of the God I serve. He knows each one as if they were the only person on the Earth, and each one probably feels as if they are the center of the universe. It reminds me of who I am as nothing more, and nothing less than a child of God.

It's always hard to come home from vacation, and I confess I felt some Sesame Street Live Syndrome on my way home.

For another interesting perspective, read what Mark Batterson has to say about travel here.

No comments: