Monday, December 18, 2006

9 More Minutes



It's pretty much the same thing every morning. Although I've always had a tendency towards this sickness, I have to say that the disease has gotten progressively worse over the last year. Acknowledgement is the first step towards healing though, right?

Hello. My name is Leah Edwards, and I'm a chronic snoozer.

Every night before I go to bed, I create a plan for my morning. I think about when my first meeting starts and then work backwards. Sometimes my pre-meeting schedule is a full 3-4 hours full of really beneficial activities: exercise, Bible study, prayer, shower, breakfast, homework. It's really a great vision with even better intentions. I set my alarm and then it happens. I awaken and think of my plan in my head, acknowledge that it is a good plan, and determine to begin it in just 9 more minutes, when the snooze alarm goes off again. This delusion goes on for about 2 more snoozes when I then determine to actually begin my plan . . . from the comfort of my bed. The funny part is that I actually believe that it might work this time. "Surely, if I read/pray/write with my head on my pillow, I won't fall asleep and I can keep enjoying these delightful covers . . ." After a few more snoozes, I realize that the pillow plan isn't working and although I really want to get up, every inch of my body fights me. It's like I can feel myself becoming Exhibit A for a physics lecture describing the Law of Inertia.

After anywhere from 30-120 minutes of sleep in 9 minute increments, I realize that I am now really far behind schedule and I find myself running around, having long since abandoned my grandiose plan, and now simply trying to figure out how I can get to my meeting on time. And then it all starts again the next morning.

The dumb thing about snoozing is that it's a lose/lose situation on all ends. I surely don't enjoy quality sleep when I awake every 9 minutes. I don't accomplish any of my well-intentioned goals, and I am usually late to wherever I am going next. So why do I do it?

How well I identify with Paul in Romans 7:19. "For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing." Sadly, I've realized that too often, I'm not only "snoozing" to my alarm, but to life in general. "I'll read that book soon. I'll start that Bible study soon. I'll call that friend soon. I'll spend time with that person soon." One after another after another set of "9 more minutes" adds up and the time keeps flying while I'm left with a datebook that stands for me as a messy anthology of missed opportunities.

I guess I'm writing this as an accountability of sorts. Maybe by telling all of you some of my greatest shortcomings, it will actually serve as a stimulus tomorrow morning to "do the good I want to do." I'm going to head to bed now and set my alarm. Let's hope I'm on the road to recovery.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

she does not lie. homegirl can snooze anyone under the table any day of the week.

kim said...

unbelievable...i just "met" you and you're already telling my daily story? i am, unfortunately, exactly the same way. i have fallen in love with the snooze button and, like you, need to fall out of love with it very quickly. if you ever meet my roommate, don't tell her i told you this, but she's even worse than me :)