Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Times They Are A-Changin

I had the opportunity to enjoy a 26 hour trip to Pittsburgh last weekend.  Yep, that included the 9 hours spent in the car driving.  Definitely couldn't have done it without the help of my sister, Samantha. (Thank you, Saulie!) :-)

Besides the fact that it was entirely too short, it really was a wonderful trip.  I was able to go back to North Way and speak to a group of Middle School girls about their identity in Christ and relationships.  Middle School Ministry at North Way was where I first cut my teeth in full-time ministry, so it was really special to come back to where it all began.  Besides that, I loved the topic and am really passionate about trying to communicate these Truths to women as early as possible.

One of the things that really struck me on this trip home, however, is how much things have changed, at least physically speaking.  When I left, 2 major projects were either just "born" or in a very embryonic state at North Way.  The Family Ministry was just gaining ground and momentum and a building project for a new Kidz Ministry area was just going to be started.  Not even one year later, the ministry is kickin' butt and the building is almost finished!

I've been a part of these kind of projects long enough to know that when you are in those trenches day to day, it feels like the changes are so long in coming.  To those leading the effort, it often feels like the changes should have all been done about 3 months prior.  Stepping away from the situation, however, and getting some perspective, really helps to see all that God has accomplished and is doing.  I was so proud to see all the work He is continuing to do in the hearts and lives of the people that I don't get to see nearly as often as I like.

It also brought a healthy dose of reality to the season in which my church is now living, once again, a time of change.  Working out the details of the change and move are important, but even more is the perspective that God is doing a much bigger change than we can see.  Although His ways and thoughts will always be higher than ours, it's nice when He gives just a glimpse of His reality to His children. 

1 comment:

Netta said...

Hi... I've been thinking about you lately. How wonderful that you got to go back to that cool city that's filled with bridges & one-way streets! Happy Weekend! (It's the 4th Anniversary of Real Church this weekend, too! Yippee!)