Monday, March 3, 2008

Rubix Revelation

I remember going to my Grandma's house when I was younger and my uncle had this "toy" called a Rubix cube. I was intrigued by the way it turned and all the colors, but was shocked when my he told me that I was supposed to be able to get all the colors on each side the same. I worked so hard to make that happen and I even got one whole side once, only to be so frustrated when I realized I had to mess it all up in order to get the other sides to work. Eventually, I tried peeling off the colored stickers and re-sticking them instead. For future reference, it doesn't work too well.

Saturday marked my third week in Michigan and my sixth week that Brad and I have been married. I've had numerous conversations with people as well as some personal reflection processing the changes and adjustments that this delightful season has brought. In many ways, being married is far more wonderful than I could have imagined. I think we've adjusted to living together and the day-to-day parts of life very quickly. It's hard to remember what things were like before. Weird, huh?

On the other hand, I am surprised at how certain things have not changed. Many times, before I was married, I would think of my future with such uncertainty, wondering where I would end up living, what I would end up doing, who I would end up marrying . . . they were really big decisions and I had no idea what the answers would be. For so long, it really frustrated me, thinking, "If I could just click these pieces into place, the puzzle would be solved!"

Now that God has clicked several of these big pieces into place, I feel as if I delightfully looked at all these colors in one block, only to discover that there are 5 other sides to the cube that have yet to be deciphered. Having those pieces in place certainly has been a good thing, but it doesn't mean that I get to live in any more certainty, clearly knowing all the answers to the puzzle. There are simply new reasons to trust, new questions to ask my Father, and new opportunities to step out without knowing the answer. And based on His past performance, often it's when the squares seem to be the messiest that He manages to click them into place. I've learned that letting him click the pieces works a lot better than trying to peel them off myself. :-)

1 comment:

Rachel Sarah said...

Hello from WA state. I am a friend of Jenn S. and followed her link to your blog some time ago. Your story about Noggin' intrigued me and I keep checking in periodically. I want you to know that many of your postings (now the Rubiks cube one) have ministered to me - encouraged me at key times. You are a good writer and the Lord gives you keen & profound insight. Thanks for sharing.