Thursday, March 13, 2008

Post-Shower Syndrome

Back in January, right before we got married, I spent a good 8-10 hours/day for one full week unpacking all our shower gifts and getting things situated in our house. I have to say, it was hard work, but a lot of fun. My favorite room, despite my previous post, was the kitchen. Even though I have miles to go before I can even come close to being a kitchen connoisseur, I have always loved kitchen gadgets and supplies. It was with great delight that I hung my pretty new pans and put away my shiny new silverware and spotless new dishes. What a blessing those showers were!

When I first started my new kitchen adventures, I must confess, however, that there was a tinge of sadness when I went to start using my new cookware. The first time I cut something on the cutting board, it had these nasty cut marks on it afterwards! (I know . . . big surprise.) I actually even considered buying some cheap, alternate cookware that I could use and mess-up so I could still keep my new utensils looking new. Don't worry. I realized how dumb that idea was about 5 seconds after I thought it.

The simple revelation occurred to me that these gifts were given to me so that I would use them. The person who bought me the teapot wanted me to use it to make hot beverages, and if I created some indelible stains (due to burnt milk) in the process, sobeit.
It was one of those brief, "Ah ha!" moments that God used to enlighten a continuing lesson in my heart. He gave me certain gifts to be used. If they're not used perfectly every time, it's okay. He already knew that would be the case when He gave it to me.

A cutting board without any cut marks has never had a chance to do what it was intended to do. I'll make the choice to use gifts however imperfectly, perhaps even getting some scars and stains in the process, but hopefully being a frequently used tool in God's hands.

3 comments:

Mary Beth said...

This is a great word, Leah. I love your practical, spiritual applications.

Anonymous said...

So good! Thanks! Happy Weekend!

Anonymous said...

Leah, I have a "helpful hint" ... No, my name is not Heloise... Anyway, if you will "wash" your wooden cutting board with Apple Cider Vinegar it will "clean" and inhibit the growth of bacteria! Just clean the board really well and then apply the cider vinegar and let it dry.