Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Vision, Part 2

So I know this is a little delayed, but I thought it was still good to finish up some of my thoughts on vision from I Chronicles. If you missed the first post, you can catch it here.

As David was talking to his son about the vision for the Temple (I Chron. 28-29), I saw a couple points that I think are critical components of a God-given vision. David clearly says that it's nothing less than that (I Chron. 28:19).
  1. Fear - This might sound like a funny component and it certainly shouldn't remain long, but I think that if there's not some element of overwhelming fear about the vision initially, it's probably not big enough. How many times does God command His people , "Don't be afraid or discouraged about the size of the task?" (I Chron. 28:20) I think God's vision for us should be such that we know we are doomed to fail unless He steps in. David reminds Solomon how the job will be done in vs. 20. ("He will see to it that all the work related to the Temple of the LORD is finished correctly.")
  2. Bigger than Me - This goes along with the size of the vision. I think God will clearly equip us to accomplish it and that it usually will require other people and resources to be provided. David reminds Solomon, "Others with skills of every kind will volunteer, and the leaders and the entire nation are at your command" (vs. 21). God gives us a vision to bring Him glory and draw others to Himself, so it should be larger than just me.
  3. Personal Sacrifice - Pursuing God's vision will cost us something, probably proportionate to the size of the vision. David told his people, "I am giving all of my own private treasures of gold and silver to help in the construction. This is in addition to the building materials I have already collected for his holy Temple" (I Chron. 29:3). Though our sacrifice may be great, I really like how Mark Batterson has said, "We cannot sacrifice anything for God." He's done so much for us, that there's nothing we can begin to do to compare.
  4. Inexplicable Provision - If God gives the vision, clearly He will supernaturally provide for it. This section of Scripture ends saying, "The people rejoiced over the offerings, for they had given freely and wholeheartedly to the LORD, and King David was filled with joy" (I Chron. 29:9). One caveat that I would add to this is that it may not be in the time or in the way that we expected, but if God gives the vision, He will provide.

I was excited to read Pastor Jeff Leake's blog today that also talked about pursuing a God-given vision. Getting past that first step of fear can be a big adjustment for me, so I can't wait to hear his message about how to recklessly follow God.

No comments: