Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Chick Flicks!

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I had the delightful pleasure of growing up in the chocolate business. A common question that I get when people discover this is, "Wow! Did you just eat chocolate all the time?" My answer is not that surprising if you think about it. Of course we didn't eat it all the time because it was always there. We could have some if we wanted it, but we didn't need to gorge ourselves on it because there was always more to enjoy. A classic case of not recognizing what you had until it was gone. Now when I have chocolate cravings I swear I would pay $20 for a peanut butter meltaway from Geoffrey Boehm Chocolates.

Another blessing that I got to enjoy was growing up in a house full of girls. With closets and jewelry galore, there were always new outfits to be worn and accessories to be shared. And, a basic staple to our house of 4 women was a well-defined collection of chick flicks . . . the Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan classics (including the little known, Joe vs. the Volcano, one of my faves) and the full Jane Austen gamut, just to name a few. They are pure bubble-gum movies, adding no real value to my life, but extremely entertaining to indulge in every once in a while.

So, imagine my pure glee when I got a package today with 11 of my favorite chick flick movies sent to me by my amazing mother!!! While I appreciate the wide variety of golf, basketball, and war movies that Brad has gathered, I found myself the other day craving a mindless chick flick to watch while writing thank you notes. Would you believe that Brad didn't have any?!? I felt again the twinge of not appreciating what I had until it was gone. Now I have hours of pure enjoyment right at my fingertips. I'm sure I can't fully express Brad's joy on this subject. :-)

And to top off my glee, it seems as if my mom is going to be able to come out here for a brief 24 hour period to watch them with me while Brad is at a conference in New York. It will be a nice balm to my saddened heart while Brad is away. :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear that your mom is coming to hang out! Tell her I say "hello!" I miss you terribly and wish I could be there with you. Have fun!

Mary Beth said...

Have fun with your Momma... Chick Flicking together!

We made Steve watch "Enchanted" last week. Of course, Brianna and I purchased it because we thought it was the best, funny, engaging, lighthearted, FUN movie ever...

Unfortunately, Daddy / Hubby didn't share our sentiments. SO next time your mom is not available, we will sent Brad and Steve to some Man Thing Movie and we will enjoy our girl time!

Anonymous said...

How fun! I know Rob gets tired of watching chick flicks with me (on the rare occassions that I talk him into watching them), so if you ever need someone give me a call. We can have a girls night.

Betsy

Unknown said...

Hey Leah, how are you? Cool to see your blog again. I finally got mine going! check it out!
By the way, just wondered if you could give me you new email.... the one I have got returned!
Your Honduran connection!

Anonymous said...

Leewards! You are so creative. I love it.