Saturday, January 12, 2008

Paper Chains

When I was little, my sisters and I used to make these construction paper chains that served as a visual countdown to some exciting event. Each link represented a day until Christmas, a birthday, vacation . . . something that we would ask my mom every five minutes, "Is it time yet?" So, to ease her sanity, she had us make these chains and could just refer us back to them telling us, "Count the links!"

The paper chain is now down to seven days. You know it's close when the wedding date is now on the extended forecast on The Weather Channel. (Brad keeps telling me not to look at this yet, but I can't help myself.) :-)

In many ways, this countdown is so different from the rest. In order to get a good sense of my anticipation, you'd have to add up all the birthdays, Christmases, and vacations combined. There's no way I can adequately express my excitement.

It's also really different to realize that it's a countdown to beginnings. When we'd countdown to Christmas, we'd all celebrate, enjoy Christmas, and then go back to "normal" life the day after Christmas (except with a few more toys). When this countdown is over, my "normal" completely transforms. It's not at all a bad realization; it's just very surreal. I try and imagine what "new normal" will be like and find it's quite impossible to do. Makes me even more anxious to just start living it. :-)

And so, this morning, tearing another link off the chain reminds me of how much I miss my bridegroom and I can't wait to see him again. It also overwhelms me with a gratitude and love for my Heavenly Father who is so faithful to all His promises. Seven more sleeps!!!!

6 comments:

Mary Beth said...

We are counting down with you. I helped your mother in law to be with her outfit last night. We had so much fun! I don't know of any other event where SOOOO many people were so excited! I guess it is because you and Brad are loved so much.

See you on Friday!

Anonymous said...

What a New Normal you are getting! You deserve it!

Unknown said...

leah, i've had thoughts of you so much these past few weeks i had to invent a new compartment in my brain to hold them all. it was just called "thoughts abut leah" but now i can call it "leah's links"! can't wait to be a witness on your biggest day. love you!

jennifer joy staab said...

i wish i could be there!! happy wedding and honeymooning!!

jennifer joy staab said...

i wish i could be there!! happy wedding and honeymooning!!

Anonymous said...

miss leah,,,,this is the other,,older leah,,,,cannot wait until Saturday,,,,,,you will be the most beautiful bride,,,,,your smile will dazzle your future hubby waiting at the altar for you. i am sooooo happy for you. big hugs