Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Finish Well

A few months ago, when I was visiting Detroit for a wedding, Brad and I got to spend time with some of his extended family at a soccer game. We enjoyed a lovely afternoon laughing and talking and eating a great dinner. As we were getting ready to leave and giving hugs goodbye, Brad's Uncle Jim hugged me and gave me some words of encouragement before we left. They were simply, "Finish well."

I smiled and nodded my head, but he stopped me again and kindly and strongly repeated, "Finish well. Your school, your job . . . finish it all well."

Keep in mind that this was in the beginning of October, two and a half months before I would have been able to begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel and three and a half months before our big day. It might as well have been three and a half years to me at that point, because it felt so long and daunting and near impossible to finish. And yet right then, at about mile 10 in my marathon, I had someone give me a big drink of cold water, and cheer me on to keep going in this race.

Over these past few months I confess that there has been more than one time when I have wanted to give up. I knew I couldn't drop out of the race entirely, but many times, I felt like doing enough just to get by. And time after time, God used these words of Uncle Jim's to get me up and start running again. The phrase took me through my last weeks at North Way, my last papers in grad school, and now in my last days of singlehood. Now, more than ever, I can't wait for the finish line of these past few months to come, but I'm recognizing the need to finish this season with the same vigilance and excellence that I sought to do in the other arenas.

"Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." (I Cor. 9.26-27)

I can't wait to receive my prize and start a new race with a running partner this time. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

leah! remember me from vortex? this is crazy, but i know brad, too! we interned together way back in the day at concord first assembly. he can tell you some funny stories about that summer. i am SO excited to read that you two are getting married soon. congratulations! if you are ever out in california again, let me know. i'm at saddleback and would love to take you both out for lunch and catch up!

my email address is abranley@saddleback.net

Crystal said...

Dearest Leah I am so excited that in less than two weeks you are getting married! Are you stressed out? Nervous? I'm so excited for you and Brad. I just wanted you to know that you have been constantly in my thought and prayers lately. I'm SOOO sad we can't be there with you, but we'll definitely be celebrating.