Friday, February 16, 2007

Thisthers . . .

Remember that scene from White Christmas, where the Haynes sisters come out in those goofy, poofy costumes and they started singing that unforgettable song, "Sisters?" My mom offered my sister Ashley and I $50 to sing that song for a talent show in elementary school. I refused. I was in 7th grade. I had a reputation to protect. What's more, at that point in my life, I looked at Samantha, my youngest sister who was about 6 at that time, as a baby doll, and I was just starting to see Ashley, two years younger than me, as something more than a person to be the groom when I wanted to play wedding. I couldn't quite appreciate the words of the song, "Two different faces, but in tight places, we think and we act as one." (eh heh . . .) :-)

In the years following, I think my sisters and I have grown from playmates and people who share the same bloodline, to genuine best friends. This weekend Ashley is coming home for a few days vacation from her home in D.C. (with my new brother (& her husband), Nate) and we intend to go up and visit Samantha (at Grove City College) for at least one afternoon of quality shopping and eating. I thought it would be an appropriate time to share just a little bit of what I love about each one.

The picture that you see is of the lovely Ashley Edwards Maines on her wedding day (with her new monkey friend) and her infamous AUBURN hair. Yep, I learned at a really young age that Ashley had red hair that "you can't get in a bottle" and I didn't. Complete strangers would come up to her and comment how beautiful her hair was. Once I got past the intense jealousy over the fact that she was stealing all my attention, I was able to see that she was a pretty cool girl. Ashley has a brilliant mind (she has a Master's in Statistics) and yet breaks every mold that you can possibly imagine of what a statistician would be (no offense to statisticians intended). She's zany, silly, and extremely funny and fun to be around. She and her husband are such a great complement to each other as they both love Jesus and love working together to serve Him.

Samantha (the beauty on the left at a dance at her school last year) is one of the funniest people I've ever met with one of the most beautiful voices that I've ever heard (she just got a leading roll in a theatre production at college and sang for a National Prayer Breakfast in Rwanda last summer). She is a woman of character like few I've ever known as she exemplifies perseverance and hard work in a way to which I can only aspire.

Yep, "Sisters, sisters, there were never such devoted sisters . . ." I love you both dearly and am so thankful to God for the gift of each of you.

No comments: