Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Snow Day!

Today was a blissful flashback to third grade.

The local news started broadcasting the impending snow storm on Sunday morning. And yesterday as a result of all the dangerous predictions, we cancelled all of our formal meetings at work today. My planned 14 hour day of nine meetings was transformed into a productive, work-from-home day in my sweatshirt and sweatpants. I'm one of those strange people who really enjoy the winter season for the most part and today was another delightful reason why I should feel that way.

Snow day in 18th grade. :-)

It's funny because this snowstorm in many ways has created a lot of obstacles, stress, and anxiety for many people. They started being affected by it days before it even came, imagining all the potential problems that could arise. What I initially viewed as a potential detriment, however, turned out to be a great gift of rest and refreshment. It was a simple little reminder that God gave me, recalling other more magnanimous moments when I thought that I would be facing a major problem or painful circumstance (going to a new school, facing medical uncertainties, finding a job) and God used the time to draw me close to Him and bring great joy and gifts from the season that I could have never imagined. Maintaining my snow day mentality in the midst of life's blizzards will be key to seeing God's unique handiwork in each and every flake that falls.

Yay for snow days!

No comments: