Friday, November 24, 2006

Leewards

So the title of this blog might seem a little funny, but actually there's a method to the madness, and like most other things in my life, I owe it (the blog name) to my mother.

Leeward is a nautical term, defined as "moving toward the quarter toward which the wind blows." And, coincidentally, it sounds like "Lee's words" (my initials being LEE, Leah Emily Edwards). Now moving in the direction of the wind can be a good or bad thing depending on what kind of wind is blowing.

Certain winds can be strong and destructive, easy to blow a ship to and fro and destroy it if it's not anchored to something stronger. On the other hand, if the anchor always remains in place the sailboat may be able to catch a good wind, but it will never be able to leave that place and journey to a new destination as it was designed.

It's my heart's desire to be anchored to the Truth and Person of Jesus Christ, tethered to His unchanging character in the midst of winds of change and circumstance that this world brings. I would be remiss, however, and sadly never achieve my purpose if I remained anchored forever, never allowing the Winds of His spirit to steer me into the adventure He's prepared.

And so, this blog . . . I guess I just think of it as my "captain's log," a record of my journey, the mundane and the significant, the successes and the failures, the storms and the sweet winds that mark the adventure. Journey with me as you wish, and I would value your insights from your travels as well. Together, we will head leeward, in the direction of where the Wind blows.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I listed you on my blog with a link. great job.

see-through faith said...

I like the name of your blog very much.

Do you know the song Jesus be my centre ... I love that because it says - at one point - be the wind in my sails. That's exactly what the Holy Spirit is ... sometimes stronger sometimes less -always directing us to Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Just one degree away