Monday, April 20, 2009

New Set of Lenses

Something very interesting happened to me the other day.  When it did, I knew that I was officially entering a new season of life.  Let me try and recreate.

Brad and I were watching TV when a particular commercial came on advertising kids meals for a fast-food restaurant.  I confess, that when I first saw it, I chuckled.  I thought it was funny and bizarre and fun.  It didn't take too long, however, for me to stop mid-chuckle, and realize that this commercial was aimed at kids, and when I thought of my little girl watching this commercial, imitating the words or actions of the characters, suddenly I didn't think it was so funny anymore.  

I realized that I was now looking at the world through a new set of lenses, through the eyes of a parent.  I remember an older friend of mine telling me how she saw the checkout counters at the supermarket in a whole new way when her kids were in the cart and could start to read the magazine and tabloid headlines.  These "glasses" tend to change everything.

Over these last few months, I've spent a lot of time thinking and preparing for the whole birth process, and getting physically ready for the baby to come.  I haven't spent as much time, however, thinking about all the facets to actually parenting, probably because when I do, I become so overwhelmed with the responsibility of it all that I'm not sure even where to begin.  

Working with students and kids ministry these past few years, I've always said that the job of a parent is the most important and probably most difficult job that you can have.  I think I'm understanding that on an entirely new level now, and I'm sure that this learning curve is just beginning.  Brad and I have been praying for an increased measure of wisdom and discernment as we enter this new adventure, as I know more than ever, that we cannot do this on our own.  I'm so thankful for friends, church family, and our own family that we can very tangibly count on and talk to through this new season as well.  These new lenses are a pretty amazing gift.

1 comment:

TN Bakers said...

I totally agree!!! It's really crazy how much more junk you realize is out there when you start thinking "would I want my child seeing/hearing/wearing this??" I think I know what commercial you are talking about and when Jeremy and I saw it the other day we were appalled (sp??) that it was aimed at kids! Hope you are doing great!