Tuesday, September 11, 2007

New Normal

So these last few weeks have been a blur of activity and a wide range of emotions. Very good and fun, mind you, but certainly intense. I've been processing some various changes that I get to experience over these next few months and I thought it might help to verbalize some of them here. I'll start this post with the not so deep stuff . . .

Lions Football - I was discussing my first experience watching a full Lions football game to Brad and our friend Norflette on Monday and came to the conclusion that I'm not sure I have the emotional fortitude to be a Lions fan. Silly me thought that a 17 point lead at halftime was a pretty safe and secure place to be. Imagine my angst and distress when I watched that lead diminish into nothing in a matter of 5 minutes in the third quarter. It was then Brad informed me the first rule of watching Lions football: no lead is a safe lead. I was delighted to ride out the rest of the emotional roller coaster and end the day with both the Steelers and Lions, 1-0.

New Family - I LOVE this part of new normal. I genuinely have such a love for Brad's family and was trying to put my feelings into words the other day, coming up with the following simile that hopefully at least my female readers will be able to appreciate, knowing that it may go over some of the male readers' heads (i.e. Brad didn't get it.). Brad's family is like a gift with purchase that you get at the makeup counter at Christmas. You go to buy one item that you really did want to get, and then find out you get a whole OTHER gift, too, leaving the store so extraordinarily happy! God has truly blessed me not only with such an amazing family in which to be born, but an equally amazing family in which to be married. How wonderful.

More thoughts on some other transitions later. Any suggestions on how to best adjust to cooking and Lions fanaticism would be greatly welcomed. :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I TOTALLY get the gift with purchase thing. I feel the same way about Paul's family. Cooking tips...get a crockpot...especially if you work.

Anonymous said...

I have some (husband approved) recipes I could send you!! And I guess Brad being a Lions fan is acceptable...I mean, Eric is a Green Bay fan, after all.

At least he's not from Cleveland! :)

Anonymous said...

You stole my term "New Normal", but yours will be the bestest! Still looking for mine. Also, advice: forget the china...

jamiecbass said...

Leah I loved what you said about your new in laws - I love mine so much - all of them - I even have not so little brothers that I have a great relationship with - it makes my life full and happy. What a blessing. Cooking can be fun and experimental - just be honest about what you do/don't like in the beginning.

kim said...

L-I get the analogy...you might want to get used to "Brad not getting it" ;) Although I'm sure you've clued into that one already. You're so right about the Leach's, though. They are an amazing group of family for you to join!