Friday, July 27, 2007

Extremely Wise

I've been reading through the books of the Bible that Solomon wrote over these past few weeks (Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon) and at the risk of sounding incredibly sacrilegious, I have to say that they're not my favorite books of the Bible. Granted this man is supposed to be the wisest man that ever lived, but to me, Proverbs seems incredibly random or incredibly obvious.

"A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy man keeps a secret" (Prov. 11:13).

Really, Solomon?!? So you're saying that a gossip is going to tell other people my secrets?!? What do you think a liar is going to do with it?!? :-)

I really have been trying to press past my initial feelings, however, and ask God to enlighten my heart and mind to learn from the wisdom that I believe is there. Recently, the Holy Spirit really challenged me with a particular verse in Ecclesiastes. It's found in the 7th chapter, verse 18.

"It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other. The man who fears God will avoid all extremes."

Earlier this week, I posted some feelings about how I was trying to figure out "normal life" after crazy-busy seasons. I realize that it's a lot easier for me to live in one extreme or the other. When you're working 16 hour days for weeks at a time, it quits becoming difficult. And you think you don't really need sleep or days off like you once thought.

On the other hand, when you visit life in the other extreme, it kind of makes you never want to work again in your life. Sleep, recreation, more sleep, exercising, and then you get to sleep again. Kind of makes that sluggard look good no matter what Solomon has to say about it.

Learning to live in the way that God intended, between the tension of work and Sabbath, productivity and rest . . . that's what really takes some work. Grabbing on to the one without letting go of the other truly takes a fear of God to learn how to do it in the beautiful way He created it to work.

Maybe there is something more to these words of Solomon. If this keeps up, maybe I'll start to understand why I should be flattered if some guy told me told me that my hair was like a flock of goats. :-)

1 comment:

Jason Michael Shuttlesworth said...

Ecclesiastes is just about my favorite book.

It has just the right amount of melancholy.