Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Avalanche Fun

Well, it's started this week. Our VBS, Kidz GiG, kicked off yesterday with a Western bang! I came home around 6 PM yesterday, was asleep by 7 and slept for almost 12 hours! When the kids left that first day, so did the adrenaline that I'd been living on for the days before. These past few days have been chalked full of lessons that God's been teaching me. Here are a few:
  • Delegation - Sunday night I was feeling a little nervous about all the registration and administrative details for the next morning. Last year I had spent the days before camp literally not sleeping in order to get everything done. When it was done, I was exhausted, but I knew that it was right. This year, I made what was the better choice, and allowed other people to handle all the registration details over these past few months. This choice meant, however, that the night before camp I had to simply trust these very capable leaders, and let it go. What resulted was a great registration time (even for Day 1) and other people who enjoyed doing jobs that they wouldn't have been able to do.
  • Ego - The night before Kidz GiG, I was walking through a back hallway, one that was designated to be decorated by a group of middle schoolers. As I walked through, it wasn't hard for me to believe that the decoration was executed by those who were just old enough to legally see a PG-13 movie. A huge part of me was compelled to take down all the work, and do it over myself (which would have definitely taken a few more hours). I was convicted with the thought, however, "Would redoing this job help children learn and know about Jesus even better?" The answer for me was a resounding, "No!" Pulling in a group of people to carry out a task is not necessarily the most efficient way of accomplishing something in the short term (as many times it's just faster to do it myself), but it's certainly the most rewarding in that so many more people are changed and blessed. How humbling to think that God doesn't need me to accomplish His plans (He's certainly more than capable of doing it Himself), but He allows and chooses me to carry them out, giving me the gift of purpose and meaning.

Tomorrow will mark the half-way point, one that will end with me and my partner, Darren, getting pied. I'll post some pictures when I get them. :-)

No comments: