Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Catch-22

Joseph Heller wrote a novel in 1953 entitled Catch-22 describing the paradox that occurred when attempting to escape a situation makes the escape impossible. He was writing about pilots in the US Air Force, but I'm pretty sure if ole' Joe ever had to try and change his name in the state of Michigan, he would have focused on this plot instead.

After several days of traveling to the social security office, the secretary of state (twice), and the post office trying to collect approximately 743 different documents (maybe it was just more like 14, but it felt like more), I am proud to say that I am now the owner of a temporary driver's license for the state of Michigan.

I won.

I say that because it felt like an intense challenge. They really want to make sure that you are who you say you are and that you live in the state of Michigan. A driver's license, a passport, birth certificate, Brad's driver's license, a marriage license (w/ a seal!), mortgage payments, a personal interview with my pediatrician verifying that I was really born, and a retinal eye scan . . . these were all necessary to accomplish my quest. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating on those last two, but I wouldn't have been surprised.

It was all worth it today, though, to sign my name as Leah Edwards Leach. The lady at the center chuckled when she was typing it. Isn't it so much fun? :-)

1 comment:

Chris Preksta said...

I know what you're talking about all too well.

By the way, check out http://www.captainblasto.com/mercury.htm to see the latest short, which is partially inspired by your Pluto's Revenge. I don't have your non-Northway e-mail or I'd a sent it a while ago.

Ashley and I sometimes find ourselves just sitting in your old office eating Swedish fish and building Wire Racers.