Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Nephew!

First I should give my "I'm sorry for not blogging" message. I've found in seasons of busyness, something that is a priority in my life inevitably gets pushed off my plate for a bit. In the past, that "something" has usually been working out, but with the wedding now 100 days away (but who's counting . . .) I figured I probably shouldn't skimp out on work outs entirely. Therefore, blogging has gotten the short end of the stick. :-(

That being said, I just got back from a few delightful, whirlwind days in Detroit that culminated with the birth of a nephew! What a crazy surprise as Robert William arrived 19 days early! (Which I thought was really gracious of both Betsy (Brad's sister) and Robert to rearrange their schedule to make sure that I could be there when he was born.) :-) And let me just say that Betsy has set an entirely new standard of greatness for me in that I can only hope to be half as calm, gracious, pleasant, and beautiful, before, during, and after just having a baby.

Little Robert (and I do mean little Robert at 5 lbs., 15 oz.) is just precious and it was so incredible to be able to share in the initial moments of celebrating a new life. . . truly miraculous. As we were all standing together drinking in the reality of this baby, I was struck watching the nurses who were also there, bustling about, helping to take care of Betsy and the baby. They were great, very professional, courteous, helpful, and kind, but I realized that they must do this several times a day, 4-5 days a week. For them, this baby was another part of their daily routine. I thought about all the "little" miracles that I experience on a daily basis that I don't even notice any more. Things as simple as a sunset and as profound as watching a six year old pray and praise Jesus in worship. . . things which should be far from routine.

I realize that I'm waxing along the lines of sounding like a trite bumper sticker, but I pray that God would splash cold water on my face as I go through each day, recognizing as C. S. Lewis has said, "That we have never talked to a mere mortal."

Congratulations Rob & Betsy, Grandmas & Grandpas, and Uncle Brad! :-)

One other fun fact . . . My dad reminded me tonight what the Greek word for "Aunt" is. It's "Thea." Yep. That would officially make me Thea Leah. Just when you thought Leah Leach couldn't get any more fun. :-)

3 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Dear Thea Leah, (you know that will stick with you!)

I was so trilled to hear you were there and able to celebrate with Brad and his family. God is so cool that way. Brianna and I are counting the hours until we can hold little Robert.

AND...you and Brad looked SOOO NATURAL and sweet holding a BABY!

jamiecbass said...

you should not have told me that --- Thea
awesome story - so happy for you guys

jennifer joy staab said...

im sorry but that last pic was just too cute. :)

done your comps yet?

i had a dream last night that i graduated again and that i didnt get a diploma (or rolled up paper). which is kinda true, 'cause is still havent finished my final project. :(