Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sesame Redemption

One of the first posts of my blogging career was written right around Thanksgiving 2006. I was suffering the effects of "post-Thanksgiving withdrawal" and lamenting the sadness that comes with the end of a really great thing, one that I first remember experiencing when I went to see Sesame Street Live as a little girl. If you missed it the first time around and care to see it now, you can catch up here.

On this, the day of Mr. Snuffalupagus's birthday :-), I thought it would be a great time to share how God has continued his lessons to me, showing how He can redeem our hurts and renew our dreams truly far beyond anything we could ask or imagine.

A little over six months ago, I had the opportunity to meet Brad Leach. He was coming in to Pittsburgh for some meetings and asked if I'd like to grab some coffee. That simple night started a beautiful conversation that continued throughout the next week on the phone, e-mail, and IM until we had the chance to see each other once again the following Friday afternoon in Cleveland (it was half-way in between Detroit and Pittsburgh).

I'm pretty sure that my work and school efficiency that week was not at it's highest peak. And by that I mean that I really wasn't thinking about too much else other than when I got to talk to Brad again. :-) The more I got to know this man, the more I found myself wanting to get to know him more. He was funny and goofy, yet also profound and deep. He dreamed HUGE dreams for His Father and was crazy enough to chase after them (how many people do you know that plant a church 3 months after they graduate college?). More than anything, the thing that struck me from the moment that I met him was the way that he talked about Jesus like He was his Best Friend. It was so refreshing and genuine, and it made me want to know Jesus more.

And just when I thought that this guy couldn't get any better, it was only a few days after that first trip to Cleveland that Brad asked if I would like to meet him there again the next Friday. This time, however, he wanted to know if I would join him to see Sesame Street Live. I giggled, smiled, and felt all melty. :-) I was so touched and delighted and impressed with his creativity and effort to truly get to know me. The night was such a special treat and joy beyond what I could have imagined.

Ironically enough, as we were getting ready to leave, we saw a mom and her young son leaving the show, the boy crying inconsolably and his mom trying to figure out what was the matter with him. I found myself wanting to run after him, telling him that everything was going to be okay and that Jesus could redeem his sadness better than anyone ever could. It was a moment for me to pause and remember, to thank God for His goodness and faithfulness, and to then turn and thank the man who had just subjugated himself to a politically correct Cookie Monster for the last 2 hours just to bless me in such a special way.

Six months later, my gratitude to both of them has only grown. Thank you, Brad, for the miles driven, the minutes talked, the coffees, breakfasts, and dinners bought, and most of all for drawing me closer to Jesus. And thank you, Father, for your never ending faithfulness and goodness, far more than I could ever deserve or imagine.

6 comments:

Mary Beth said...

He is a great guy! I am glad he brought you into our lives.

Love the pic at SSL. I have taken both of my kids to that...but I am not sure if Steve would want to go to that on a date with just me and him...unless he was really trying to impress me with his thoughtfulness, creativity, and caring personality!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy for you. So happy for you.

Yay!!

Anonymous said...

What a great blog!!! It made me teary-eyed. You are the bestest ever!! ML

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!

Anonymous said...

Reading you and Brad's blog is like watching the Notebook! Your love inspires me; no but seriously...you are so cute. I just wanted to say I think you two seem like you have something special and God-centered, really CUTE STUFF!

Anonymous said...

I am glad that I get to see your side of the coin as well... Girls are so much better at details. I will have to ask Brad for a review of SSL for Brady and Mac!!!

Tony
Becoming Greek!