Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Deep Thoughts . . . Again

Ok, over these past few days I've been pondering some "deep" thoughts once again, thoughts that are best processed on the blogosphere.

I confess that I have been known to watch the Weather Channel from time to time. Strange, perhaps, but during hurricane season even the largest skeptic has to agree that it can be kind of entertaining. My question is, when these psychotic weather reporters are doing a live report in the 130 mile/hr. winds and sideways rain, why do they insist upon wearing a hood? Do they really think that is helping them stay dry? Why don't we just report the weather like a real man in a hurricane, sans hooded raincoat.

Why do we call it a "pair of pants?" There is only one of them and yet it is always used as a plural word and we insist on using the word "pair" with it. We do the same thing with glasses. Why? I suppose you could bring up the point that there are two pant legs involved, but we don't call it a pair of shirt because they have two sleeves. Weird, huh?

Jack Handy's got nuthin' on me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you know that you got me hooked on the Weather Channel long, long ago in the Edwards basement - late at night (or early morning) on some GCC break or weekend away. I'm sure it was wedged between a viewing of Evita and a slew of infomercials. :)