Monday, October 22, 2007

Hero

So maybe it was a bad decision, but I've finally caught up on reading my blogs in between my furious writing of my comprehensive exams this week. I needed a break, despite the fact that time is at a premium now, and I thought it was a perfect time to blog about a genuine, modern day hero, one for whom I would covet your prayers.

As you can see from my picture, this post is focusing on my brother-in-law and sister, Nate and Ashley. There are so many things I admire about the two of them: their amazing gift of hospitality, their love of life, their ability to not take themselves too seriously, their commitment to their church and walk with Christ, and their incredibly generous spirit. It's this generous spirit that I've been especially challenged with recently.

Tomorrow morning Nate is undergoing surgery to donate bone marrow from his spinal cord to a total stranger. He donated blood a few years ago and said that he would be considered to be screened for a bone marrow donor if anyone was ever a match. The blood bank called a few weeks ago informing Nate that he was a match to a man who was very sick, whose only chance of survival was a bone marrow transplant. After some prayer and discussion, Ashley and Nate made the decision to go ahead with the surgery, giving this man a chance for life.

Nate is not allowed contact with the man and he will not know how he'll respond to the transplant or any other details. That's why Nate and Ashley are spending so much time intentionally praying for him, asking God to use the whole experience to reach the man wherever he is in his personal relationship with Christ and to draw him closer to Him.

Can you please be praying for Nate's surgery tomorrow (Tuesday) morning and pray for the man who will receive the donation's physical and spiritual health? And I will continue to pray that God would challenge me to grow in my spirit of generosity and selflessness, just like my younger sister and brother. I want to be just like them when I grow up. :-)

2 comments:

jamiecbass said...

wow that type of sacrifice for a couple stranger is so selfless - it really challenged me. I'll be praying for them. by the way here is my email - jamiecbass@comcast.net - and it was easy (if you know what I mean).

jamiecbass said...

wow that type of sacrifice for a couple stranger is so selfless - it really challenged me. I'll be praying for them. by the way here is my email - jamiecbass@comcast.net - and it was easy (if you know what I mean).