Monday, March 5, 2007

Rockin Rollercoaster

My family is pretty much a Disney World fanatic. Our last trip was about 7 years ago and that was our 4th time there. We love the place and are determined to suck up every drop of Disney while we are there. We stay on Disney property so that we can go into the park at 7 AM and leave at 1 AM . . . and we do this for 5 days. It's intense to be sure, and in order to make the most of our time, we must have a strategy of execution.

Last trip, my dad found this book, The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World, and he would read it right alongside his Bible each morning. We made a game plan, maps to follow, shortcuts through bathrooms, all designed to get us to Splash Mountain in a new record time before even the workers had a chance to get in line. We would literally run through the park past all the other ignorant saps who would wander about aimlessly spending their time in the Tiki Room when The Tower of Terror was calling their name.

The one part of the trip that will forever stick out in my mind, however, was our ride on the Rockin' Rollercoaster in MGM Studios. It wasn't supposed to open for another month and our guidebook did not even mention it, so it was with great uncertainty that we wandered over to the almost clandestine entrance to the "sneak preview" of the ride. We had no idea what to expect and when we saw a maintenance person walk past us with a toolbox in hand as we waited in line we wondered if this was really a good idea. We pressed on into the unknown, however, prepped in classic Disney fashion by Aerosmith who simply told us that we were getting into a "limo" in order to make it to their concert on time.

Nothing, I repeat, nothing could have ever prepared me for that ride. I had never experienced anything like it, nor do I think I ever have again. You enter the car and prepare to go through a tunnel, but before you can adjust your seat belt, you are shot through the tunnel like a bullet coming out of a gun. I'm quite sure we reached 974 MPH (or something pretty close to that) and maintained that velocity for the remainder of the ride. At the end I had drool coming down the side of my face because I hadn't swallowed or breathed in the previous 2 minutes. We got off and got right back in line and although it was still pretty incredible, it still couldn't compare with that first time.

I was reminiscing about the Rockin' Rollercoaster these past few days, recognizing that my walk with God so often feels like my favorite Disney ride. I will map out my plan, my strategy, my time lines, which is truly an important step to take. I think God can really guide our planning and use it to prepare us for what's in store.

Then, there's lots of time spent waiting in line, getting prepped for what's ahead, talking to the other soon-to-be passengers about what can be expected, and honestly many times, I feel like I'm waiting in line far longer than I'd like. When God moves, however, He moves, and usually much faster than I would have ever anticipated. I feel like I'm strapping into my seat and before I can say, "I'm ready, God" He's shot me off on an adventure that is moving at 974 MPH (or pretty close to it) that quite literally leaves me breathless. If I try and strain my neck to see what's coming next or move against the centrifugal forces against me, I quickly become tired and sore and even scared wondering if this is really a safe thing for me to be doing.

And then I remember it's not. It was never supposed to be. As Lucy found out about Aslan in C.S. Lewis' The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, he's not safe, but he's good. And the reason why the ride is so incredible is because it's unscripted, unplanned, and unknown. So, I put my head back, laugh, and enjoy the wild, rockin' ride that He's taking me on, knowing that it's good in the best sense of the word (and I might have to wipe off my drool again when it's over). :-)