Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Faith-full Living

I've been reading through 2 Kings over these past few weeks, spending a lot of time reading about one of my favorite Biblical characters, Elisha.  During our Team Retreat we spent a lot of time reading about faith in God's Word and what that means in our lives.  I couldn't help but think of Elisha as his life was such a picture of living with an understanding of who God was and what He was doing.  You get the idea that nothing really surprised him because nothing was outside God's realm of possibility.  

Some of my favorite Elisha moments:
  • 2 Kings 2.23-25 - Let's just say that I've always had to think twice before making any comments to my father about his hair (or lack of it).
  • 2 Kings 4.8-37 - This story is one that has had a profound impact on my life for many years now.  I can blog more about this later.  That Shunammite woman, though, was pretty special.
  • 2 Kings 4.40 - I think this is one of the funniest verses in the Bible.  I say it with great enthusiasm and dramatic angst.  "Oh man of God!  There is death in the pot!"  Who says the Bible isn't applicable today?
  • 2 Kings 6.18-23 - Reminds me of the Heavenly perspective that I need to have in the midst of Earthly situations.  "Those who are with us are more than those who are with them."  May my blinded eyes see, too.
  • 2 Kings 13.20-21 - This is, I think, one of the most remarkable stories, and it doesn't even get its own subject heading.  It's just casually placed in the middle of another narrative.  "Oh, by the way, Elisha had such a powerful measure of God's Spirit in his life that after he died, even his bones brought men back to life."  Can you imagine how much fun that man had going back to his friends after they threw him in that cave?  "Hey guys!  How ya' doin?  So you didn't want to bother burying me correctly, huh?"  Wild.
What kind of legacy will be left with my life?  May I receive an even greater measure of God's Spirit and presence that it will truly be one faith-full life.

2 comments:

Bruce said...

The Bald headed one can only assure you that there are no bears in your future. Only blessings and always!

Da

The Hedden Family said...

Ah, the Shunammite woman. Brings back a lot of memories. :)