Sunday, August 17, 2008

Dreamin and Cruisin

Friday was a pretty special day for me.

1.  My amazing husband surprised me with an incredible picnic in honor of completing our thank you cards.  It may seem silly, but since my Freshman year in high school, I've dreamed of one day having a picnic with my husband using a "real-live" picnic basket.  (Thanks to Caroline who gave us this wonderful gift complete with little salt and pepper shakers!)  It was a beautiful day at a beautiful park and even some ants came along to make the the time even more idyllic.

2.  Friday night was the annual Berkley Cruisefest that coincides with the Woodward Dream Cruise each August.  Last year, I participated in the first community outreach that COTK did for the Cruisefest.  It was the first time I participated in something for COTK.  A week after that, I got engaged.  This year, a man came up to me at the Cruisefest rather excitedly and said, "Hi there!  Do you remember me?"  I think he could see the blank stare on my face because he continued, "Last year I met you here when you gave me a bottle of water," and honestly, I remembered this sweet older man that I met when we talked about Jesus, church, and the pastor that I was dating.  As I nodded my head, he looked at me expectantly and asked, "Well . . . did you marry him?!?"  I giggled and introduced him to my husband.  

Both circumstances served as mini-altars to remind me of the incredible faithfulness of God.  Our dreams, big and small, are anything but insignificant to Him and He has an amazing way of fulfilling them sometimes when we least expect it.  Clearly there are some difficult times when we truly are walking by faith, trusting in that faithfulness rather than experiencing it to its fullness.  But it seems like the darker those moments, the sweeter the taste of His promises, mainly because He has changed me in the process.  May you taste His goodness today in whatever season you may find yourself.

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

I just commented on Brad's facebook photo of you at the Cruise Fest that I remembered last year when you were the water girl and girlfriend... now this year the PASTOR'S WIFE.

How awesome is that! I wish I could've been there to hear "A Wii Away!!!!"